Saturday, March 18, 2017

Aluminum Wire


Okay for some reason I thought it was a good idea to make a stop motion puppet for the first time in this project. I've always enjoyed stop motion films, but next time I watch one I might just break down crying because of my newfound admiration for the craft.

I used a handy YouTube video to teach myself the basics: like making the armature, and making sure my puppet's ego wasn't too big so that it doesn't topple over (or maybe it was something about not putting too much clay in the head). Anyway, I went to my local craft store and unknowingly signed off my soul as I signed the receipt for aluminum wire, Styrofoam, and air-dry clay (yes, I got the wrong type of clay).

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpgOnce I was home, I sketched my character, and laid out how the armature would sit within it. Little did I know this was the last I was gonna see of my finger tips. Turns out, as the handy YouTube video pointed out, I have to either use a power tool, or twist wire by hand. I didn't think twisting wire was too bad when I first started, but by the second wire arm I had twisted, I started to seriously question my life choices. 
Displaying IMG_6884.JPG

Okay maybe it wasn't that bad, the armature actually came out pretty okay. For my first time trying, I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished. It stood up without me adding anything, so that must be a good sign. I was planning to have more progress done by the time of this post, but you can blame aluminum wire for that.
Displaying IMG_6887.JPG


Finished Armature!






















H. (2014, January 24). Retrieved March 18, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBH9na2xNo

No comments:

Post a Comment