Sunday, April 2, 2017

Editing Hype Man

Today, Nicole and I met once again to start editing the clips. We spent the majority of time in class reviewing, and naming the individual clips so that editing would be much easier at her house. And it was! Though we didn't edit as much as we initially planned, we finished editing the second half of the intro- the orange scene.


At first, putting the clips together went pretty smoothly, given all we had to do was piece them together. Editing is Nicole's forte so for this part of the process I was mostly there for "moral support", occasionally chanting "ACTION MATCH" repeatedly in attempts to hype her up. While I don't think this helped much, I managed to successfully ease tension, and that's worthy of recognition. They should really make a job out of hyping the editor up, having to put everything together with the expectation to amend any errors during filming is a lot to handle.
"Ever get lonely while editing? Hire me, and have a guaranteed decrease in efficiency, paired with a priceless boost in morale!"


All jokes aside, I obviously helped whenever there were issues/decisions to be made, and I actually think I learned how to use Adobe Premier Pro! Granted I might forget by the next time I attempt to edit on my own, but hey that's still something. I also found out I'm pretty good at "key-framing," which I had just previously called "playing with the audio till it sounded okay," so I took care of that aspect. Also, due to my background in art, I found I'm relatively good at color correcting- since I understand how the color spectrum and color wheel work- so that was pretty cool!


I ALMOST FORGOT! WE HAVE MUSIC!
While Nicole was being her diligent self doing the importing of clips and stuff, I was looking through Epidemic Sound. At first I was pretty much clueless, but then I jokingly mentioned having Hair (a musical about the 60's counterculture) be our background music, and tested out a clip called "Psychedelic Background." Despite having completely based this suggestion off the fact that Nicole and I may have been singing Hair at the top of our lungs beforehand (you have no proof), we were both surprised at how well it worked.


We did run into some issues with the dark room footage, which is why we didn't get to edit it. The audio wouldn't play, and when it was imported into Adobe Premier Pro, it only imported the audio. So that was both confusing and frustrating.After a sequence of screaming, a little crying, and being rudely ignored by Microsoft tech support, we figured it had something to do with incompatibility of files across platforms(we had recorded this portion on  an Iphone, and were editing on a dell). A quick google search revealed that .mov files were apparently not compatible with Windows Media Player. Thinking we had solved this, we downloaded QuickTime on the laptop, but this proved to be futile. The audio and video played, but Adobe Premier Pro didn't seem to care. Ultimately, we just agreed to put our trust into an online video converter. I had to leave before the files were fully converted, but the ones we reviewed seemed to be fine. Nicole is going to finish reviewing those clips so that we can start editing the interrogation scene in class Tuesday.


That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment